The American Board of Dental Examiners (ADEX) Dental Hygiene Examination consists of two components: the Computer Simulated Clinical Examination (CSCE) and the Patient Treatment Clinical Examination (PTCE), which is performed on patients.
**FAQs about the WRITTEN portion of the CSCE dental hygiene board
Q: How many questions are there and how much time do I have for the ADEX (CSCE) exam?
- There are 100 multiple-choice questions. An additional 15 questions are being tested for possible future use, but they are not part of the examination grade.
- Candidates are given 120 minutes (2 hours) to complete the exam.
Q: What types of questions will I see?
- Examination questions are clinically-based questions presented on a computer.
- The questions are multiple-choice, and each question will only have one correct answer.
NO time to waste!
Q: What subject matters are included?
The exam covers the following subjects:
- Medical/Dental Assessment
- Intra and Extra Oral Examination
- Dental and Periodontal Charting and Assessment
- Soft Tissue, Bone, and Tooth Abnormalities
- Dental Hygiene Care Planning
- Periodontal Procedures
- Infection Control
- Medical Emergency Management
- Dental Specialties
- Applied Pharmacology
Q: When can I take the exam?
- Students who have not yet graduated may provide the Certification of Completion of Requirements to Graduate within 45 days, or a letter confirming that you are a finial-year student in good standing.
- CDCA Coordinators at schools in the CDCA region may also be able to verify you directly by logging into the organization’s system or by providing a list of eligible students to the CDCA.
- Once you have graduated, you will be asked to upload a proof of graduation.
Q: How do I register for the exam?
- Fill out the online profile at https://cdcaexams.brighttrac.com
- This form will require your SSN, name, email address, password, photo, etc.
- All the photographs and documentation you provide will be reviewed by staff at CDCA Central Office, generally within 10 business days.
- Once approved, your profile will be marked “verified, ” and you will receive an email instructing you to sign into your profile. You may then register for the exam you wish to take.
- At the next screen, you will be asked to select your testing site. If you are only taking the CSCE, DSE, LA or NO exams, click on “Prometric.”
- The next screen is where you process your payment. CDCA accepts VISA and MasterCard only.
- For Prometric exams, once your payment has been processed, another email will be sent to you, generally within 5-7 business days. The email will include an authorization code which you will use when selecting your testing center and schedule.
- To select a testing center and schedule, either go to http://www.prometric.com or call the Prometric National Registration Number at 1-800-797-1813.
- When registering with Prometric online or via phone, select or let the operator know that you are testing for The North East Regional Board of Dental Examiners. Do NOT select any other testing agency such as the ADA or your records will NOT be found and you will not be able to schedule your examination.
“The only useful CSCE review course!”
Q: Will I receive a score or is it pass/fail results?
- Only a pass/fail report will be available to you.
Q: What is the passing grade?
- The passing grade is 75.
Q: When are the results reported?
- The CSCE scores are reported at the end of the first full week of the month following the month when the CSCE was taken.
- The results are sent via postal mail.
- Scores are not released to candidates or their representatives via telephone, facsimile or email. The individual scores of a candidate are not issued by the CDCA to the school of graduation unless authorized by the candidate upon application for examination.
- Scores are not released at any time, except to the candidate and the CDCA participating licensing jurisdictions, unless authorization is received from the candidate.
Q: How much is it?
- $450: CSCE dental hygiene board (written) exam.
Q: What do I need to prepare on the day of the exam?
- You will be required to provide two (2) valid and current forms of identification.
- One of the ID’s will be considered your primary ID.
- The primary ID must have your photo and signature, and the name on the ID must exactly match the name you provided during the application.
- Acceptable primary ID’s are government-issued U.S. driver’s license, passport, military ID, alien registration card, government-issued ID, school ID or employee ID.
- A secondary ID containing your name and signature should also be provided.
- Acceptable forms of secondary ID are social security card, bank credit card, bank ATM card, library card or any primary ID (as listed above) that was not used as your official primary ID upon check-in. Secondary ID’s must be current and exactly match the name you provided during the application.
Q: How do I cancel or reschedule?
- Call the National Prometric Registration Center (1-800-797-1813). Do NOT call your local Prometric Testing Center.
- If you wish to cancel or reschedule, you must call at least 30 consecutive days prior to the test date.
- If you call 5 to 29 consecutive days prior to the exam date, you will be charged a $25 fee by Prometric.
- If you call less than 5 consecutive days prior to the test date or are more than 15 minutes late for the examination, the examination will be canceled, and your fee will be forfeited.
Q: If I have a question, who should I contact?
- Email [email protected], or call 301-563-3300.